Yayasan Pendidikan Indonesia,Date publishedLink to Official Document
Achieving empowering people and ensuring inclusiveness and equality cannot happen without access to quality education for all which is a critical to creating societies that enable opportunities to achieve more.
Ma,had Alzaytun (MAZ) is the Educational Centre in the Western Java Indonesia, where everyone has the opportunity to the acquire knowledge, skills necessary for a sustainable future and for positive societal transformation.
The 1200 HA land in which MAZ situated is predominantly agricultural land, depended on the rain irrigation reservoir, but they works hard to build irrigation even the big dam is under construction, 400 HA of the land, used to produces rice in cooperation with the local farmers, with the Nucleus and Plasma systems. With the program MAZ shares its Agricultural knowledge with local people who rely heavily on agricultural resources for their livelihood and sustenance, as part of the social contribution.
As such, MAZ sees education is occupies a prominent role in the development, the exponents work hard toward the realisation of its vision, where all the linked community members have equitable access to high quality education opportunities, and where education is positioned as the key intermediary to lay the foundation for inclusiveness and equality.
As part of the mission above, the Grand Chancellor of MAZ Dr. AS Panji Gumilang established the Organisation called “The Farmers association for Indonesian Food Security supports”. He supervised directly of the 850 farmers household Participants. Each groups manages at least 7 HA, with a harvest period twice annually, each hectare produced 20 tons of grain, which means the program can produces 7,000 tons of dry grain annually. Revenue sharing is 40%: 60%, but the farmers preferred to sell their harvests to the core, because of better prices than the outside market.
Benefit for the Farmers :
1. Transfer knowledge and Technology
2. Receiving a good quality of Rice seed
3. Enhancing standard of life.
4. The ability to participates as teamwork
5. Farmers learn from Farmers
Benefit for the Core (MAZ)
1. The opportunity to carry out community development
2. A chance to distributes superior rice seeds, organic fertilisers
4. Obtain sufficient rice to serve the needs of students
5. Getting income to supports educational activities
The program between MAZ and the local farmers sets out for the agricultural development based on the participatory action, all within the context of empowering people to gain inclusiveness and equality.
The future of the program is profitable, because of the on going infrastructure development, especially irrigation, and no extreme impacts of climate change.
The program is a strong desire of MAZ to follow the United Nations in relation to sustainable development, the results was amazing as the farmers income increased enormously so their lives were worthy and their children can pursue education for their better life in the future.
While MAZ still provides a formal education and produces a thousands of talented alumni, who are now able to contribute their skills and knowledge to the general communities in all over Indonesia.
Calendar of preparatory thematic events for 2019 HLPF under ECOSOC
Expert Group Meeting on SDG 4: 3-5 December 2018, Brussels
Expert Group Meeting on SDG 8: 3-5 April 2019, Geneva
Expert Group Meeting on SDG 10: 2-3 April 2019, Geneva
Expert Group Meeting on SDG 13: 1-3 April 2019, Copenhagen
Expert Group Meeting on SDG 16: 27-29 May 2019, Rome
Expert Group Meeting on SDG 17: 12 April 2019, New York
REGIONAL PREPARATORY MEETINGS
United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (ECE): 21 – 22 March 2019, Geneva, Switzerland
United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP): 27 – 29 March 2019, Bangkok, Thailand
United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA): 9 – 11 April 2019, Beirut, Lebanon
United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA): 16-18 April 2019, Marrakech, Morocco
United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC): 22- 26 April 2019, Santiago, Chile
- I just want to write a testimony for this remarkable education institution. Ma’had Al-Zaytun is a very modern Islamic boarding school (or, pesantren) that offers a good quality of education service for Indonesian Moslem community combined by very unique programs and activities related to agriculture, livestock, and plantation. Ma’had Al-Zaytun was built based on a great ambition: to educate young Indonesian people and equip them with knowledge, skills, and technologies being an instrument to build Islamic civilization, and Al-Zaytun meets all the requirements and has the capability of materializing its objective. Of course, the Grand Chancellor of Ma’had Al-Zaytun, Syaikh A.S. Panji Gumilang is a central figure who has played a vital role to reach the ambition, as he has Islamic credentials. The mission of Al-Zaytun is to promote the culture of peace and tolerance which are very relevant with Indonesian context as a very diverse country in terms of faiths and beliefs, cultures and traditions. In this sense, Al-Zaytun has introduced the way how to live in harmony with those who have different religious faiths. For this mission, Al-Zaytun is considered an authoritative institution to speak out into global audience. I have been observing Ma’had Al-Zaytun since its establishment in 1999 and it is indeed a very good place not only to study, but also to practice agriculture plantation since its campus is very supportive of doing these activities. (Dr. Amich Alhumami, MSc, MA. Director of Higher Education, Bappenas RI)
- Just to add some more views on Ma’had Al-Zaytun. Not only does Al-Zaytun promote the idea of quality education by applying integrative approach on managing natural resources, it also introduces the concept of environment management and energy usage in efficient way. And the Ma’had Al-Zaytun campus provides everything needed to achieve such golas. In this context, what Al-Zaytun has done is in line with the global mission through SDGs. And under the strong leadership of the Grand Chancellor Syaikh A.S. Panji Gumilang, Al-Zaytun is committed to implementing SDGs agenda in the country. Ma’had Al-Zaytun is deeply concerned about fighting poverty and inequality through education, while at the same time offering economic opportunity for local people to work in the agricaltural sector. Indeed, Syaikh Abdussalam Panji Gumilang is the man of vision as he has excellent views on how to prepare young generations of Indonesian society with good education for a better life in the future. It is a good time for him to move forward and take the opportunity to build up a strategic partnership with international development agencies to promote global cooperation in various fields, such as economy, science and technology, education and culture, agriculture and natural resources, etc. (Dr. Amich Alhumami, MSc, MA. Director of Higher Education, Bappenas RI)
Official documents :