HIGH-LEVEL POLITICAL FORUM 2019 UNDER THE AUSPICES OF ECOSOC
The meeting of the high-level political forum on sustainable development in 2019 convened under the auspices of the Economic and Social Council, will be held from Tuesday, 9 July, to Thursday, 18 July 2019; including the three-day ministerial meeting of the forum from Tuesday, 16 July, to Thursday, 18 July 2019.
The theme will be “Empowering people and ensuring inclusiveness and equality“. The set of goals to be reviewed in depth is the following:
- Goal 4. Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Goal 8. Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Goal 10. Reduce inequality within and among countries
- Goal 13. Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- Goal 16. Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
- Goal 17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
For more information on Thematic SDG Reviews, click here.
In accordance with paragraph 84. of the 2030 Agenda, Member States have decided that the HLPF shall carry out regular voluntary reviews of the 2030 Agenda which will include developed and developing countries as well as relevant UN entities and other stakeholders. The reviews are state-led, involving ministerial and other relevant high-level participants, and provide a platform for partnerships, including through the participation of major groups and other relevant stakeholders.
In 2019, 47 countries (7 for the second time) have volunteered to present their national voluntary reviews to the HLPF. For more details, please click here.
General Assembly resolution A/RES/70/299 decided to review the format and organizational aspects of the high-level political forum at its seventy-fourth session, in order to benefit from lessons learned in the first cycle of the forum as well as from other processes under the General Assembly and the Economic and Social Council related to the follow-up and review of the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. In this context, an Expert Group Meeting was held from 6 to 7 May 2019 in UNHQ in New York with the aim to bring Member States, the UN system, experts, academia and other stakeholders together to prepare the discussions of the 74th session. The Summary of the meeting can be found here.
The conclusion of the first cycle of the HLPF represents a critical opportunity to take stock of how the HLPF has delivered on its functions to promote and support the implementation, follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda and to reflect on opportunities to strengthen the HLPF in the future. To assist in taking stock of the first cycle of the HLPF, we kindly invite you to complete this short survey which is available in all six UN languages, by 12 July 2019: https://forms.gle/kzizhLbxe7WnR41C7 It requires approximately 5 minutes to complete.
The results of this survey will be presented during the HLPF session entitled “Lessons learned from the first cycle of HLPF and Messages for 2019 HLPF Summit: What should Heads of State and Government know and how can we improve the HLPF?” on Thursday, 18 July from 4:00-5:30 PM in Conference Room 4. The results will also help Member States in reviewing the format and modalities of the HLPF during the 74th session of the General Assembly.HLPF IN NUMBERS
HLPF TIMELINE2019HLPF under the auspices of the Economic and Social Council SDG sdg4SDG sdg8SDG sdg10SDG sdg13SDG sdg16SDG sdg17
–Empowering people and ensuring inclusiveness and equality–HLPF under the auspices of the General Assembly (SDG Summit)2018Transformation towards sustainable and resilient societiesSDG sdg6SDG sdg7SDG sdg11SDG sdg12SDG sdg15SDG sdg172017Eradicating poverty and promoting prosperity in a changing worldSDG sdg1SDG sdg2SDG sdg3SDG sdg5SDG sdg9SDG sdg14SDG sdg172016Ensuring that no one is left behind2015Strengthening integration, implementation and review – the HLPF after 20152014Achieving the MDGs and charting the way for an ambitious post-2015 development agenda, including the SDGs2013Building the future we want: from Rio+20 to the post-2015 development agenda
- The Sustainable Development Goals Report 2019
- 2019 Financing for Sustainable Development Report
- World Youth Report on “Youth and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development”
- Report of the SG on the long term impact of current trends in the economic, social and environmental areas on the realization of the SDGs
- Report of the SG on Empowering people and ensuring inclusiveness and equality
- Report of the SG on the progress towards the SDGs (Special Edition)
- Progress report on the 10-Year Framework of Programmes on Sustainable Consumption and Production Patterns
- E/HLPF/2019/5 – Compilation of main messages for the 2019 voluntary national reviews
- Note by the Secretariat on the discussion papers on the theme of the high-level political forum on sustainable development, submitted by the Major Groups and other Stakeholders
- Note by the Secretariat on the Synthesis of voluntary submissions by functional commissions of the Economic and Social Council and other intergovernmental bodies and forums
- Note by the Secretariat on reports of the regional forums
- Note by the Secretariat on reports of the regional forums (ECE)
- Note by the Secretariat on reports of the regional forums (ESCAP)
- Note by the Secretariat on reports of the regional forums (ESCWA)
- Note by the Secretariat on reports of the regional forums (ECA)
- Note by the Secretariat on reports of the regional forums (ECLAC)
- Summary of the 2019 ECOSOC Partnership Forum “Partnerships Driving Inclusive Implementation of the SDGs”
- Co-Chairs’ Summary of the STI Forum
- Summary of 2019 Economic and Social Council Youth Forum
- Discussions held during the twenty-second session of the Commission on Science and Technology for Development on the theme of the 2019 session of the Economic and Social Council, “Empowering people and ensuring inclusiveness and equality”
- World Public Sector Report 2019
- Letter of the President of the General Assembly appointing co-facilitators for HLPF 2019 political declaration
- Letter of the President of ECOSOC to intergovernmental bodies and forums for inputs to HLPF 2019
- Remarks of the President of ECOSOC in the Joint Briefing with the President of the General Assembly, 31 January 2019, New York
- Opening remarks of Mr. Elliott Harris, Assistant Secretary-General for Economic and Social Affairs and Chief Economist of UN DESA in the High-level Meeting on Sustainable Development cooperation in middle-income countries